BUG: Inconsistent Replays

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

BUG: Inconsistent Replays

Postby weasel on Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:24 pm

Looks like you can edit stick lengths to be shorter than the minimum length the engine usually allows. Upon playing the level, the links will correct themselves one at a time - resulting in replays that can be different several times in sequence.

MetallicDragon demonstrates it with this handy level.

Until Pacifist gets a chance to put a fix in, if you are experiencing any inconsistencies please make sure you don't have any really ultra-short sticks anywhere in your contraption.
weasel

Re: BUG: Inconsistent Replays

Postby fantastic_murfie on Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:38 pm

Another inconsistent replay, but not due to short sticks.
Have a look at this level. on my computer the number of bounces before ending
varies every time. Also the outcome if it is successful can not be predicted.
See http://fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=164841
fantastic_murfie

Postby fantastic_murfie on Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 pm

Hmm maybe I was a bit too quick with previous post. It seems pretty consistent after a few more replays.
The fact I thought it sometimes was losing was probably caused by returning after the win and let it bounce some more.

However I'm pretty convinced that the winning bounce was not always caused by the 3rd wheel before
I saved the level (and really I didn't change anything). Maybe others still would like to comment on this.
fantastic_murfie

Postby captainqtp on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:09 pm

I had a win on unpossible last night... I saved it, showed the replay, linked it etc, and it showed me winning. My wife saw it too...Today I linked to a buddy and everything is the same except at the end, My car doesn't swing far enough over into the win zone...
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=151852 not sure what's wrong...
captainqtp

Postby adjboy on Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:50 pm

I had a similar problem: Me and my dad made this in a caterpillar track, most of the time it works, but a couple of times it has toppled over backwards and not moved anywhere and once it has just got stuck randomnly, the first time it didn't work was when i tried to show it to someone. Sometimes you have to watch it a few times to see it not working. http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=226667
adjboy

Postby Guest on Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:04 pm

Another source of inconsistent replay is that it would seem a joint between sticks (water in my case, but presumably others) can pass through corners in the environment.

This solution demonstrates:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=270886

Postby mtdewd on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 am

This one http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=359433 has a minimum of water joints, and I can't see any rod expansion, but I get several different outcomes on the same computer.
mtdewd

Postby weasel on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:43 pm

I've been trying to watch each part but I can't seem to see what's going on. However, the first two times are different, but if you run it a third time it remains the same from then on. That tells me two rods are out of whack and it self-corrects the first few times.

Someone else might be able to look more closely and see what I can't :)
weasel

Postby mtdewd on Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:23 am

I built this at work- Win XP/Firefox, 2 processors and got at least 4 outcomes. I think once it didn't win, once went down the abyss.
At home (also Win XP/Firefox, but 1 processor) I just get 2- one falls to the left after win and one stuck on the right.

Now tried an older computer- 800Mz Win2K/FF -get 2 other results- one non-win and 1 one rolls the square up on the green shelf.
mtdewd

Postby weasel on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:18 pm

I've tested this with the new version and it seems to work the same every time now. let me know if you get different results on other processors.
weasel

Postby Canaduck on Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:24 pm

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=4120353

i got an inconsistent replay on this design, original play, opponent loaded up fine, he got stuck from my center wheel, i drove him off

once i saved....
now he gets jammed at my 2nd wheel, doesn't load fully, my top corner contraption falls off (haha) and i never am able to fully push him off

another interesting effect is my center wheel, if you load it up, watch it spin, sometimes a bump causes it to reverse, pressing back, or whatever to reload the level, the spinning is sometimes random, doesn't seem to change directions the same way... or at least on my computer
Canaduck

Postby haredeenee on Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:02 am

i no, i hate the replays 2!
Last edited by haredeenee on Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
haredeenee

Postby GeneralShroom on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:48 am

haredeenee wrote:stop advertising your site!

Erm... what?
GeneralShroom

Return to The Dev Dish