Timout Problem Identified - FIXED

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Timout Problem Identified - FIXED

Postby weasel on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:33 pm

Edit: December 16th, 11AM, we performed the upgrade. There was a brief downtime of around 10-60 minutes, but everything should be fixed now! Timeout problems and the site going slow should be a thing of the past (or as a result of your ISP and not us for a change). Hooray!

Hey folks!

We've been aware of the "Timeout" or "404" problems encountered when trying to access the site (or Designs not saving, for example) and we've been researching and coming up with dead ends over and over again. We ruled out hardware, software, and human elements, leaving... magic??? Obviously not the case.

Turned out it was a problem moreso in communication on the human side. Technology can be a tricky thing, and when we say one thing it's hard for the guys on the hardware end to account for every little detail. As a result, thanks to a variety of factors, the site had been capped for concurrent users at about half of what we needed. Something we should have caught earlier; so sorry about that.

So the good news is, we know what the problem is, and we know how to fix it!

The bad news is, turning up the variables involved will overtax the hardware, and we need to make another server upgrade. During the server upgrade there may be an outage of service, so I hope this is enough lead time for you. We hope to do the upgrade during the off-hours, so in the wee hours of the morning (Pacific Time) is likely. I'll try to update this thread when I have a more exact time, so you don't lose your contraptions.

In the meantime, we have maxed out the server as best we can. Refused connections should happen half as often - with the drawback that sometimes saving or loading can take 1-3 minutes sometimes. If you see blue bubbles or if saving isn't working, please! Go grab a glass of water and come back - it'll probably go. :)

Thanks for your patience in all this,

wz
weasel

Re: Timout Problem Identified - Downtime Coming

Postby NickOmaboy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:37 pm

What happens if i wait an hour and its still laggy?
NickOmaboy

Postby tmusquiez on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:39 pm

Good to know, and thanks for keeping us updated! Are you guys prepared, or do you know how and if it will be a smooth transitional period from the current server to the new one?
tmusquiez

Postby weasel on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Though we have increased the server's capacity already, we are bordering right on the edge (maybe just a bit over) of it's hard maximum limit. So *most* people should see a maximum lag of 1-4 minutes maybe. If you go beyond that.. You are the unlucky few that was over the maximum limit. Rest assured that on average you will all see half of the timeouts that you used to!

We won't get the timeout/lag issues resolved until we're on the new hardware so that is our next goal.

It should be a smooth transition to the new server with minimal downtime. Of course I've said that before and the thing went down for 18 hours, so no promises :) But this is transferring internally with our current host, not externally to another host, so problems will be minimal.
weasel

Postby weasel on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:52 pm

I just got approval to post some figures. :)

Maximum users the server could handle was 256 (misconfiguration). When we discovered this about an hour ago, we had 450 people currently playing the game. I just checked a moment ago and we have 650 concurrent users.

The maximum we can increase the server to at this time is 512. So we are indeed doubling our capacity... But there is still around 130 users over our limit. :( We have plans to bump this up to 1024 to start and to bump it up more when we think it's necessary.

Curse you guys for making us so popular! (it also gives you an idea of how unpopular the forums are. Our all time highest was around 140 people reading!)
weasel

Postby NickOmaboy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Well i guess it makes sense:
1. The forum isn't a game and people like playing games instead of reading important information.
2. We must lag if we are over the max number of people who are supposed to be playing. It's the nature of the beast Weasel.
Last edited by NickOmaboy on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickOmaboy

Postby Afronanny on Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Yep, i see the problem.
Weasel, i have a solution without paying lots of money!
Kick the side of your computer in the old work or i'll chuck you out the window kinda way.
If it doesnt work, chuck it out the window to show you werent kidding.
Then go and buy a new computer.

And NickOmaBoy is absolutely right.
One thing though, if the max number of people the server can handle is 256, how were 650 people able to be on?
Fix it soon! I just lost a contraption due to this. (waited a long, long time)

(btw, you might have to pay some money if the computer refuses to cooperate)
Have fun, and i still thank you for Reorder. =P
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby goise on Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Things seemed to be going really good after the new server move. You must be picking up quite a few users a day. Good Luck with the server upgrade.. Things like that seldom are as easy as they should be in theory. Hope you guys are seeing some benefits of your success, rather than just headaches. Hats off to you for the great game.
goise

Postby jkhouw1 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:33 am

it appears as if they added a "www" to the host name now - perhaps as part of the above mentioned server move? However I think the inner workings of the game are still trying to access http://fantasticcontraption.com/blahblah.php and aren't working as a result?

just a guess.
jkhouw1

Location: Browsing the forums, happy signatures are turned off.

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:31 am

The server is experiencing problems for the moment. You'll have to add a www. in the link. But that will direct you to the game, but won't load the level. (It loads a blank level instead). We're in the transition of getting a server upgrade, but for now, no links are working without the www.

We'll have to wait it out for the moment!!
tmusquiez

Postby Afronanny on Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:50 am

Sigh.
It appears i can't look at other players levels, or my levels either. And my new level is still "working".
=(
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby mikeygstl on Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:16 am

max of 512 concurrent connections.... that's odd. Let me at it - I'll fix that apache config.... ;)
mikeygstl

Postby Jackelope on Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:02 pm

Any updates?

Been trying to get on all day, no luck :(

Cant load player levels or My Levels.
Jackelope

Postby jkhouw1 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 pm

Jackelope wrote:Any updates?

Been trying to get on all day, no luck :(

Cant load player levels or My Levels.

seems like an easy problem to fix on the server side to respond to http://fantasticcontraption.com not just http://www.fantasticcontraption.com but it seems no one is working on it.
and having posted that--its back.
jkhouw1

Location: Browsing the forums, happy signatures are turned off.

Postby g4m3fr34k678 on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:25 pm

Thanks for finding all of this out for us, and I hope the transitions go smoothly :) (I probably just jinxed but oh well).
g4m3fr34k678

Postby reddbul1 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:31 am

Not been able to connect since Friday afternoon :( FC withdrawals /0\
reddbul1

Postby medal12 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:57 am

not working since saturday for me
medal12

Postby Ward on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:00 pm

One thing that doesn't seem to be working properly for me is the (back to the game) button next to the fantastic contraption logo.
Never mind I finally realized needed to add WWW to the address for it to work.
Ward

Postby dga415 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 5:58 pm

what is up with the notice from cPanel everytime i try to go onto fantastic contraption? when will this be fixed and is this part of the update or is my comp just retarded?
dga415

Postby dga415 on Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:03 pm

also ive been trying to get on by using peoples level link but none of them seem to load correctly. all they come up as are a coarse that looks exactly like coarses that open up whenever you click the "New Level" button
dga415

Next

Return to The Dev Dish