inXile Press Release

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

inXile Press Release

Postby weasel on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:56 pm

There's a press release floating around on the web, thought I would post it here for all the fans to see as well:

===

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – Dec. 16, 2008 – inXile entertainment today announced the acquisition of Fantastic Contraption™, an online physics puzzle game that the company sees as the next Line Rider™ ( www.linerider.com). The brainchild of independent developer Colin Northway, Fantastic Contraption was first released over the internet ( www.fantasticcontraption.com) in July of 2008 and to date almost three million people from almost every country in the world have visited the site, creating millions of contraptions. inXile holds the rights to Fantastic Contraption for all platforms and plans to release an iPhone™ application in time for the holiday season.

“Fantastic Contraption fits perfectly with our user generated content strategy and when we combine the 1 million unique visitors a month from Line Rider with the Fantastic Contraption traffic, it doubles our traffic to 2 million unique people each month,” said Brian Fargo, chief executive officer of inXile entertainment. “We believe Fantastic Contraption is the next internet phenomenon and in this era of large game companies producing big, expensive games, some of the most amazing games are the product of one person with a vision. Fantastic Contraption is just that sort of game and we knew it the first time we played it.”

Fantastic Contraption is a physics puzzle game where the objective in each level is to move all red objects into a rectangular goal area. Players are provided with a blue rectangular building area and different materials to build their device.

“The idea of Fantastic Contraption came to me in a flash and I spent every waking hour working on it,” said Colin Northway, indie game developer and the creator of Fantastic Contraption. “When my friends and family played early versions and couldn’t stop playing, I knew I had something and when within a week of its release there were over 20,000 people a day playing it, wow, I was just amazed!”

Northway continued, “My dreams for Fantastic Contraption have outgrown my ability to realize them on my own as there is a limit to what one person sitting on the couch with a laptop can do. After talking with inXile, it became immediately clear that they shared my passion for games and my dreams for Fantastic Contraption so it was a no-brainer to work with them.”

About inXile entertainment

Located in Newport Beach, California, inXile entertainment is a game development company that focuses on both licensed and original intellectual properties. Formed in late 2002 by Interplay Entertainment founder Brian Fargo, inXile entertainment develops for personal computers and the major console platforms including the Nintendo Wii™, Nintendo DS™, PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system and the Xbox 360™ video game system from Microsoft. Their products include The Bard's Tale and Line Rider. For additional information on inXile and its products, visit the website at http://www.inxile-entertainment.com.

# # #

Line Rider and Fantastic Contraption are trademarks of inXile entertainment, Inc.
weasel

Re: inXile Press Release

Postby tmusquiez on Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:27 am

Wow, this is awesome! Congrats Colin, you're on your way!!! You guys have done great things, and I hope FC grows to be an even bigger success!!
tmusquiez

Postby TweekDash on Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:51 am

But I thought you supported independency.
TweekDash

Postby NickOmaboy on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:02 am

FC APP ON IPOD TOUCH AND IPOD PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NickOmaboy

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:45 am

weasel wrote:an online physics puzzle game that the company sees as the next Line Rider™ ( http://www.linerider.com).

line rider is about 1/10 as good as FC
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby TweekDash on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:54 am

True dat ^
TweekDash

Postby weasel on Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:35 pm

TweekDash wrote:But I thought you supported independency.

Well InXile is small enough they could be considered independant. We don't exactly have a teeming staff of millions at inXile, it's just the four of us - Colin, David, Mike, and Myself. Yes, inXile is bigger than that, but that's the FC team.

but if you don't buy that argument, look at it this way: Colin wants to be an independant game developer. He wants to make games. Lots of them! He loves writing games as much as I love the communities that spring up around them.

What really sucked (in that light) is that Fantastic Contraption got popular. Colin started spending all of his time upgrading his servers, making sure the forum was up and running, and dealing with all the business stuff that goes along with it (did you know: Paypal is holding several thousand dollars from Colin?). You may notice that all of those things he is doing is *not* writing games. FC simply became popular so quickly and so fast, nobody was expecting it. We seriously thought, in late beta, we might get a hundred signups total. With low traffic like that, we'd have lots of time to work on a sequel or another game!

But now it's December, and FC is the only game we've touched since March. Can Colin still call himself an independant game developer? Or is he now just a server technician?

inXile came along (after we turned down dozens of offers from other companies) and had perfect experience with this. LineRider was a huge success on it's own and ran into similar problems. inXile was able to produce the sequels, has experience to move to other platforms (such as the iPhone!), and will take care of all the hosting stuff and code changes from here on out. Woohoo! Colin is now free to make a new game. :)
weasel

Postby darkeagle on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:41 pm

Good for him. I hope he makes something as good as FC, or even a sequel to FC! Good luck Colin!
darkeagle

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:44 am

weasel wrote: Colin is now free to make a new game. :)

well tell when he makes it please
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby TweekDash on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:00 am

So how much money has the FC team made so far? Also, why are paypal withholding money from Colin?
TweekDash

Postby snowball873 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:52 am

It is great to here that you guys are making an i-phone app for FC and I am sure that I will be great. I would love to see Fc expand to Wii ware and other platforms. My only gripe is that it does not turn out like line rider did. The first online game was great but when they made It a full-out and flashy game, I did not want to pay $40 for a "story mode" or a sledder that screamed when ever he went into the air. That would be cool to see a wii-ware title with more levels and a party mode or something, But try to keep it simple and fun.
snowball873

Postby weasel on Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Colin (and now inXile) holds the keys to the paypal account so I don't know how much money has been made. :(

I also don't know why paypal is withholding funds. I think it's because they think we are a money landering front or something like that. It's been appealed a dozen times but Colin just gets a form mail returned to them.

I think a lot of hate to the "new" linerider is misdirected. The new line rider has a free-design mode so you can play just like the old version. You can not place any of the fancy scenery and not use the sound effects. In essence you have the original game there. If that's want you wanted, you have it! But it begs the question: Why did you pay $40?

The people who paid $40 were the ones who wanted more structure: they wanted the story mode to help guide them. They were the people who couldn't play the original because, like me, they would just stare at the blank canvas, maybe draw one ramp, and be done with it.

Really the only downside to the sequel is that it's $40. There's no other negative to the sequel. Everything you want IS in there. Now you just have to decide for yourself: is it worth $40?

But that's a discussion for the LineRider forums. :P
weasel

Postby BHCS on Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:19 pm

VERYDUMBNAME wrote:
weasel wrote:an online physics puzzle game that the company sees as the next Line Rider™ ( http://www.linerider.com).

line rider is about 1/10 as good as FC

LINE RIDER OWNS

why do you think inxile made line rider first???

FC is good, but compared to FC it is rather restricted. Line Rider is a massive sandbox world. if you know what you are doing you can make ANYTHING.

but i do have to admit. FC OWNS too. but a lot more can be done to improve it, and i believe inxile can make that happen!

some people do believe that Line Rider Unbound isn't good. but here is what i believe went wrong:

they chose the wrong publisher, it wasn't distributed right!!! they promise to never use genius products again...
they also tried to make it more universal. and therefor gave it a story mode, like many other games, and also made it easier to play.
how that isnt BAD, but for the people who likes the original game it ruined it...

people who had never seen it before still loved it

but inxile has done many really good thigns too!

the ipod app of line rider is 10/10 ipecac! its featured on the itunes store STILL

they bought the game to a whole new level

promoted it to a much wider audience,

a face lift really brightens up the game a lot. and customizable riders is amazing for experienced members.

i just think that they took the "sandbox" out it the game...
but you can always just use the old flash version!!!

i use both xD
look at my best track: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1I8lNVnJWSs
BHCS

Postby weasel on Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:13 pm

BHCS wrote:LINE RIDER OWNS

why do you think inxile made line rider first??

LOL

Linerider: Released independantly in September 2006, inXile purchased the rights in December 2006

Fantastic Contraption: Released by Colin Northway in June 2008, inXile purchased the rights in December 2008
weasel

Postby BHCS on Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:35 pm

lol, i was just making a point!

And anyway. I found a way to pay!!! $10 4 u
BHCS

Postby snowball873 on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:56 pm

sorry if I sounded mean, I love and all ways will be a line rider fan, but all that extra stuff and a $40 price tag turned me away. loved the app. though! and I am glad to hear that FC is getting one too.
will we be seeing the same game in the app. or will there be some new stuff/levels? ether way I will love it.
snowball873

Postby kolko on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:45 am

Fantastic Contraption for iPod Touch and Nintendo DS.

Touch Screens for the win. WIN I SAID!
kolko

Postby snowball873 on Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:54 am

true that fo-sisal!
snowball873

Postby Hero88go on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:06 am

Wow weasel, Season just posted the exact same thing in off topic like a week ago x.x
Hero88go

Postby weasel on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:43 pm

Yes but see, now it's on topic. :P
weasel

Next

Return to The Dev Dish