We're going to be releasing an update shortly - including both the FCR and the Fantastic Contest integrated into the site - and trust me, it's going to cause a huge influx of traffic. I can guarantee the scope and the prizes will be large enough that it will bring us record traffic numbers for the coming month.
We've decided to do a few things:
1. Rewrite all the database queries in the game to be faster and more efficient (a long time coming)
2. Setup a second server, so that we have one server dedicated to reading and one server dedicated to writing. Even though the game performance has been top-notch for a few weeks, our analytical software shows us that the servers slowing down are caused by delays in transitioning from a read to a write state.
Because these changes are all reflected in the .SWF game file itself and not the website, your browser is prone to caching the old version. Be sure to clear out your cache if you are having any connection issues, and your browser will re-download the newer file.
We currently have the new version up on our testing site and appears to be working normally and we'll make the transition shortly.
Update February 19th (evening): We just made the switch to the new .SWF file on the live site. Crossing our fingers!
Update February 20th (morning): We just reverted the file back to the old version. It doesn't seem to be working as planned. The testing site seems to work flawlessly but the live site is getting a permissions error from the database. We are working on a solution; for now clear your cache so you can download the old copy again.
Update February 20th 10:48am PST: Putting the new .SWF live again. For whatever reason every test we make works fine on the QA server so we have to test this baby live. Sorry if it takes things down again, crossing fingers really hard this time. Seems to be working on my end!