Official Contest Chat

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby weasel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:38 am

kdausman wrote:Are we or are we not allowed to grab the goal object for the purposes of the competition?

Grabbing goal objects that are outside the build area is a glitch and disqualifies the entry.

I completed one of the levels where the goal circle rolls out of the goal and the goes back into the goal and stays there forever. Does this disqualify me from the champion badge? Also what is a tick?

Check out the badge descriptions here: http://wiki.fantasticcontraption.com/wi ... pion_badge
And the definition of a tick here: http://wiki.fantasticcontraption.com/wiki/Tick
weasel

Postby kdausman on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:08 am

weasel wrote:Grabbing goal objects that are outside the build area is a glitch and disqualifies the entry.

Thank you for the clarification!

So much for my -12. ;)
kdausman

Postby meggitt on Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:41 am

the gate keeper level says i need to pay to play it whats up with that? its about time i did pay but i dont have paypal acount
meggitt

Postby darkeagle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 am

I can't get past Displacement! I've been trying to do it brown, but I can't time it right.
darkeagle

Postby meteoro on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:24 am

dispaclement is hard
meteoro

Postby gcstephen on Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:24 am

Is the boomerang badge available for any of the levels of the contest? I've submitted my entry but wasn't sure if you could count that or not...every point helps...
Thanks.
gcstephen

Postby Sgt Superman on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:01 am

gcstephen wrote:Is the boomerang badge available for any of the levels of the contest? I've submitted my entry but wasn't sure if you could count that or not...every point helps...
Thanks.

No, look at the scoring for this contest, http://fantasticcontraption.com/scoring.php
Sgt Superman

Postby Tushar_N on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:41 am

Hi, I've decided to enter the competition and i wanted to know: Is the contest open to only US residents or to anyone ?
Thanks.

EDIT: Also, i wanted to know: Is the judging of the competition going to be solely on points ? Because i made a contraption that works with slightly more rods, but gets the champion badge. Now it needed more than 3 rods to get the badge, so i go on a loss of points. Does it matter in any way if i get the badges, i.e is it going to be judged based on skill and points, or merely by a cumulative total of points regardless of what extra achievements...?
Tushar_N

Postby Poots on Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:46 am

Just points. Lowest total wins.
Poots

Postby weasel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:56 am

The contest is only open to residents of the US and Canada (excluding Quebec), unfortunately. This is due to the legal ramifications of different countries around the world. Same reason why we exclude quebec.

The contest is open to THE ENTIRE PLANET! Just got clearance from legal to say that. :)

(still excludes quebec)
weasel

Postby shadowops on Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:58 am

comment on gagne l'ipod touch? car j'ai réussi les 5 niveaux du challenge....
shadowops

Postby Entity on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 am

weasel wrote:The contest is only open to residents of the US and Canada (excluding Quebec), unfortunately. This is due to the legal ramifications of different countries around the world. Same reason why we exclude quebec.

The contest is open to THE ENTIRE PLANET! Just got clearance from legal to say that. :)

w00t
Entity

Postby whupmeister on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:04 am

There may be a small issue with the competition but it's not something I want to blast here publicly. Yet I can't seem to find a Contact Us link or anything here (which probably also explains why I can't build a contraption that uses less than 14 powered wheels: I have trouble with simple things). I also can't PM any of the admins; I guess I'm not part of the "inner circle". :sigh:

I don't want to sound melodramatic, it's probably not that much of an issue, but is there some way to give a message to the folks running the competition? :ssh:
whupmeister

Postby darkeagle on Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:05 am

shadowops wrote:comment on gagne l'ipod touch? car j'ai réussi les 5 niveaux du challenge....
(how you win the ipod touch? because I passed the 5 levels of challenge ....)

I like my Google Translate.
Answer: I think you just complete them all with the least amount of points as possible. I don't know how you get it, though.
darkeagle

Postby weasel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:13 pm

It's a contest to see who can get the lowest points - you don't just have to beat them, you have to beat everyone else too :)
weasel

Postby tseagert3 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Weasel, you stated that you don't accept glitch-abusing solutions, and that you changed Gate Keeper so that you can't grab the goal object but would accept a solution from either variant. Could you clarify on whether or not you can legally grab the goal in the variant that allows it?

sccook wrote:Is every successful solution for the Canyon considered a champion?

Also curious.
Last edited by tseagert3 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tseagert3

Postby VERYDUMBNAME on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:00 pm

I have a question, we probobly can't use gliches, but what is counted as a glich, can we use rod brake and go threw green.
I sopose triangle exploding and black hole is eligal
VERYDUMBNAME

Postby weasel on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:17 pm

If anyone wants to send an example to sales@fantasticcontraption.com I'll give you a verdict on if I consider it a glitch or not.

The terrain is supposed to behave in a fashion where objects press into it, and then they spring back out again. This is the way the physics engine simulates springyness or flexiness in your contraption. We know it's not the best implementation, but if the ground was rock-solid instead of squishy, then your contraptions would fall apart very easily.

A glitch by-product of this system is that if you push an object with so much force that it passes through the center point of a green object, it will "bounce back" in the wrong direction - out the other side. Any design that abuses this fact is indeed taking advantage of a glitch and would be disqualified.

Triangle exploding is quite definitely a glitch.
weasel

Postby oozle2 on Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:54 pm

shadowops wrote:comment on gagne l'ipod touch? car j'ai réussi les 5 niveaux du challenge....

Ici est la page pour entrer le compétition: http://fantasticcontraption.com/howtoenter.php

Mais si vous vivez ou Quebec ne vous pouvez pas gagner.

(je suis désolé, je peux parler français mais je ne peux pas écrire)
oozle2

Postby bsking on Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:04 pm

Hey weasel, can you clarify for everyone if Canyon is considered Champion. I figured not, because you cant see it, but there is a lot of discussion. Thanks!
bsking

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish