Official Contest Chat

News updates, status reports, and version information from the FC Team

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Magnum1000 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:05 pm

gcstephen wrote:To the Powers that be;

Is it worth having a teaser showing the best score or username for each level in the contest to date? No need for total score, but a teaser as to what the best is for each level would be interesting to see. Thoughts?


I don't think anyone who is worth their salt will submit until the last day. You can only submit once and why do it early when you can always tweak? The organizers likely have no idea who is doing the best at any level.
User avatar
Magnum1000
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby weasel on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:10 pm

It is very true. Right now the lowest score is higher than me, and anyone will tell you I'm no good at these competitions. :) I'm fully aware that our over-200-entries so far will balloon to thousands in the final days of the contest.
User avatar
weasel
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby minisimp on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:18 pm

If I submitted when I solved them all, I would be in a world of hurt and never made it to a negative total. Tweak on!
User avatar
minisimp
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Tracy, California

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby gcstephen on Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Thanks.

It was just a thought. I had to submit early, because I won't be around when the deadline comes up, so I am sure my score won't be in the top 10...lol

Good fun though!
gcstephen
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Shooter222 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:19 pm

sorry but i could beat the contest but i need dissplacement soluiton
Shooter222
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:14 am

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby collinman101 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 pm

so far I've beaten 4 out of 5 using absolutly no wheels! :grin:
how do I enter them?
User avatar
collinman101
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby collinman101 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:15 pm

how is the winner decided?
does it help to make it brown like i did?
User avatar
collinman101
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:09 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby fermat on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:52 pm

Question:
I have been entering these one-by-one as I solve them. Is that ok to do, or did I need to submit them all at once?
fermat
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby weasel on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 am

All at once.
User avatar
weasel
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:03 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby mtdewd on Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:17 am

Is there a tiebreak procedure if needed?
I was wondering if there was any reason, for example, to drop a tick count down from 333 to 300.
User avatar
mtdewd
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Maple Corner VT

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Tushar_N on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:09 am

Yeah weasel mentioned it before. If there is a tie, total ticks of all 5 lvls will be counted.
Tushar_N
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:06 am

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Christheneck on Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 am

Sorry, forget that. didn't see replies
Christheneck
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:23 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby minisimp on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 am

mtdewd wrote:I was wondering if there was any reason, for example, to drop a tick count down from 333 to 300.

You would need to drop it from 333 down to 329 in order to make a point difference.
User avatar
minisimp
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Tracy, California

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Sgt Superman on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:18 am

minisimp wrote:
mtdewd wrote:I was wondering if there was any reason, for example, to drop a tick count down from 333 to 300.

You would need to drop it from 333 down to 329 in order to make a point difference.


Actually, you would need to drop it to 299 ticks. 329 would still add 9 points.
User avatar
Sgt Superman
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 am
Location: Lacey, WA

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby minisimp on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:30 am

Sgt Superman wrote:
minisimp wrote:
mtdewd wrote:I was wondering if there was any reason, for example, to drop a tick count down from 333 to 300.

You would need to drop it from 333 down to 329 in order to make a point difference.


Actually, you would need to drop it to 299 ticks. 329 would still add 9 points.

Duh, I was doing my own special math... :grin:
User avatar
minisimp
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Tracy, California

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Sgt Superman on Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:46 am

minisimp wrote:Duh, I was doing my own special math... :grin:


Well you are a "special" person, so I understand.
User avatar
Sgt Superman
 
Posts: 516
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 am
Location: Lacey, WA

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby minisimp on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:01 am

Sgt Superman wrote:
minisimp wrote:Duh, I was doing my own special math... :grin:


Well you are a "special" person, so I understand.

It's kinda like that saying "do what I meant, not what I said." :lol:
User avatar
minisimp
 
Posts: 2542
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:17 am
Location: Tracy, California

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby Magnum1000 on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 am

minisimp wrote:
bsking wrote:Hey weasel, can you clarify for everyone if Canyon is considered Champion. I figured not, because you cant see it, but there is a lot of discussion. Thanks!

Curious also, but I would say not since the ball passes through the goal never to be seen again.


For what it is worth, Canyon is definitely not Champ-able (unless you stop the ball). The Enhanced Wireframe view proves this: http://fantasticcontraption.com/design? ... eframeinfo
User avatar
Magnum1000
 
Posts: 912
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:45 am

Scoring Question

Postby khoker on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:09 am

Hey guys. Great work on the competition. I think this will be a lot of fun.

I have a question on the rules, to make sure I'm reading them right. For the Water, Brown and Green badges the scoring rules state "(Cumulative points with above badge)". I take that to mean that a Green badge is -3. A Brown badge is -4 + -3 (green) = -7. A Water badge is -5 + -4 (brown) + -3 (green) = -12. Is this correct?

Also, as an observation, the scoring rules also state "+100 points for not completing a level". This makes sense by itself, but makes no sense whatsoever when coupled with the other rule; "3% (rounded down) of your tick-count will be added to your point total." This would mean that if you do not solve a level, you get +100 points in addition to 3% of infinity. I think you can remove the +100 wording ... unless the tick clock actually stops at some large number?
khoker
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:33 pm

Re: Official Contest Chat

Postby weasel on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:11 am

On the rules page there's tiebreaking instructions. :)
User avatar
weasel
 
Posts: 2469
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:03 pm

PreviousNext

Return to The Dev Dish



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users