Contest: touch the floors

Challenges and Games - Extending your gameplay experience since 2008

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby mtdewd on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 am

remy wrote:muaha sweet... how did you know it was going to explode?

I don't know. I just try to build the standard exploding wheel.
They seem to be completely random, and I don't have any idea of the 'physics' behind it.
If you change anything, or sometimes even replay it and you get a completely different outcome.

Here's an Awash 2/2
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1286734
Hope it works for you. I had one earlier but it wouldn't replay.
User avatar
mtdewd
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Maple Corner VT

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby remy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:52 am

!!!!!!! i didnt knew that standard exploding wheel :)
that wheel with the 3 rods in it is the standard exploding wheel i guess?
remy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby remy on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 am

o cool i thin i learned it :lol:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1287817 is 6 piece 1st level with that concept :)
remy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby mtdewd on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:54 pm

remy wrote:!!!!!!! i didnt knew that standard exploding wheel :)
that wheel with the 3 rods in it is the standard exploding wheel i guess?

There's some discussion here:
http://fantasticcontraption.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=442


Working on Bonus06: got 1 green pretty standard:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1289758

Got 2 greens by going under a bunch of times, but could never get back up
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1287655

Got 2 of 4, but got the goal 1st:
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1293018
User avatar
mtdewd
 
Posts: 1540
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Maple Corner VT

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby remy on Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 am

oh i dont really understand that exploding topic... but your bonuslvl is nice
remy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby Guest on Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:47 am

Guest
 

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby remy on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:15 am

Guest wrote:Touched 3 greens in Back n forth
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1574262

nice. please create an account so we can see who made it :D
remy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby Vincentio on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:01 am

remy wrote:
Guest wrote:Touched 3 greens in Back n forth
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1574262

nice. please create an account so we can see who made it :D


Wasn't logged in ;)
Vincentio
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:00 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby shai noy on Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:21 am

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1611833 beta 7a - 1 part

EDIT: wrong link, fixed.
Last edited by shai noy on Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
shai noy
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:48 am

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby smoseley on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Here's a 2 of 2 solution for Tube... variation on my Whiplash design: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1604719
smoseley
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby remy on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 am

smoseley wrote:Here's a 2 of 2 solution for Tube... variation on my Whiplash design: http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1604719

niec, updated
remy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby NightStryke on Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:58 am

Er, I don't think you should be counting that U-Turn one. Glitchy contraptions are never allowed in any of the other competitions, and for good reason - the glitches will eventually be fixed, and the contraptions that use them will be broken. I'm pretty sure he posted it as a kind of a joke, anyway.
User avatar
NightStryke
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: The Ether

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby sccook on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:12 am

NightStryke wrote:Er, I don't think you should be counting that U-Turn one. Glitchy contraptions are never allowed in any of the other competitions, and for good reason - the glitches will eventually be fixed, and the contraptions that use them will be broken. I'm pretty sure he posted it as a kind of a joke, anyway.


That's not very sound logic and it's not accurate either. Alot of the brown catapults make use of a glitch that let's you put wooden rods on top of each other. This glitch allows designers to create the heavy weight used to launch the catapult. Plus, the last time the physics engine was updated, alot of solutions without glitches were broken.

So let's worry about what a physics update breaks after it happens....and just enjoy whatever works until then.
sccook
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby NightStryke on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:02 am

sccook wrote:
NightStryke wrote:Er, I don't think you should be counting that U-Turn one. Glitchy contraptions are never allowed in any of the other competitions, and for good reason - the glitches will eventually be fixed, and the contraptions that use them will be broken. I'm pretty sure he posted it as a kind of a joke, anyway.


That's not very sound logic and it's not accurate either. Alot of the brown catapults make use of a glitch that let's you put wooden rods on top of each other. This glitch allows designers to create the heavy weight used to launch the catapult. Plus, the last time the physics engine was updated, alot of solutions without glitches were broken.

So let's worry about what a physics update breaks after it happens....and just enjoy whatever works until then.

I'm afraid that that's not a glitch, but completely intentional, and so will never be changed as it's a part of the game design. And the difference between a design that happens to stop working with a physics change and a design that stops working when a glitch that it utilizes is fixed is that you know that some time in the future that glitchy design will stop working. There's nothing wrong with my logic; it echoes that of weasel and pacifist themselves.
User avatar
NightStryke
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: The Ether

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby remy on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:35 am

NightStryke wrote:
sccook wrote:
NightStryke wrote:Er, I don't think you should be counting that U-Turn one. Glitchy contraptions are never allowed in any of the other competitions, and for good reason - the glitches will eventually be fixed, and the contraptions that use them will be broken. I'm pretty sure he posted it as a kind of a joke, anyway.


That's not very sound logic and it's not accurate either. Alot of the brown catapults make use of a glitch that let's you put wooden rods on top of each other. This glitch allows designers to create the heavy weight used to launch the catapult. Plus, the last time the physics engine was updated, alot of solutions without glitches were broken.

So let's worry about what a physics update breaks after it happens....and just enjoy whatever works until then.

I'm afraid that that's not a glitch, but completely intentional, and so will never be changed as it's a part of the game design. And the difference between a design that happens to stop working with a physics change and a design that stops working when a glitch that it utilizes is fixed is that you know that some time in the future that glitchy design will stop working. There's nothing wrong with my logic; it echoes that of weasel and pacifist themselves.


All glitchy (what ever that may be) designs will remain listed. when physics change and the designs don't work any more i will delete them. it looks nice doesnt it:D?
remy
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:44 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby smoseley on Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:16 pm

Tube solution is green. ;-)
smoseley
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:03 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby NightStryke on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:43 pm

remy wrote:All glitchy (what ever that may be) designs will remain listed. when physics change and the designs don't work any more i will delete them. it looks nice doesnt it:D?

Okay then, that means that these are valid designs:

http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1671675
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1671863
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1671910
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1672164
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1672176
http://FantasticContraption.com/?designId=1672235


Let me give you another reason why glitches shouldn't be allowed: anyone can glitch - it's simple and takes no skill, only the patience to make random tweaks until it does what you want it to do. It's rather demeaning to someone who spent a lot of time working on a design that legitimately does something to say that theirs isn't as good as this glitched contraption that someone threw together in 5 minutes. And if all challenges allowed glitches, we'd never see these amazing green and brown solutions, just people doing what I did and putting the goal piece directly in the goal area for zero pieces; it makes things ridiculous.
User avatar
NightStryke
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: The Ether

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby sccook on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:54 pm

NightStryke wrote: anyone can glitch - it's simple and takes no skill, only the patience to make random tweaks until it does what you want it to do. It's rather demeaning to someone who spent a lot of time working on a design that legitimately does something ...


There is some validity to this line of argument....however this happens all of the time around here whenever someone starts a challenge with "simple" in the title. People spend no time coming up with their own designs, they simply tweak other people's work by randomly removing a single rod until they get the same result. When they are successful, this mindless group gets recognized for having the "Simplest" solution, but the large majority of the credit should go to someone else.

And I disagree with your argument about brown rods. When you select a brown rod, the following message appears: "Solid wood rods (S): will collide with other solid wood rods". However, if you are careful and draw a second wooden rod on top of the first, then there is no collosion...and that set can even pass through wooden rods beneath them. That sure sounds like a glitch to me.

Bottom Line: It's just a game. The rules (including glitches) are part of the game. Lighten up and have some fun. If you don't want to play around with explosions and glitches, then don't. But don't waste your time trying to regulate what other people allow in their challenges or do with their designs.
sccook
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby NightStryke on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:03 pm

sccook wrote:And I disagree with your argument about brown rods. When you select a brown rod, the following message appears: "Solid wood rods (S): will collide with other solid wood rods". However, if you are careful and draw a second wooden rod on top of the first, then there is no collosion...and that set can even pass through wooden rods beneath them. That sure sounds like a glitch to me.

Disagree all you like, you can't change the fact that it's completely intentional. It's what allows wooden rods to be attached to wheels; this has been stated by weasel.


sccook wrote:Bottom Line: It's just a game. The rules (including glitches) are part of the game.

No, they're not. They're deviations from the rules; they only occur because random code X interacts with random code Y in an unintended way that creates an anomaly. Fight to allow them if you will, and use them if you want, but you must know that you'll eventually have to change them to something legitimate eventually, so there's no point in it. And, if you insist on allowing glitched contraptions, then you must concede that the contraptions I posted above are all valid contraptions and beat the current contraptions.
User avatar
NightStryke
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:10 pm
Location: The Ether

Re: Contest: touch the floors

Postby sccook on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:04 pm

[quote="NightStryke
Okay then, that means that these are valid designs:
[/quote]

If I were running the challenge, then I would disallow those because the target doesn't start in the correct zone when I hit "start".
sccook
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:28 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Challenges and Games



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron