Something is defective...

Report bugs, registration issues, or just suggest some new features in this thread! Guaranteed to have at least 10% more dev attention than other threads!

Something is defective...

Postby csprof on Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:15 am

...I think it is the players. No, seriously, not most of them, but enough to bum me out.

So I know there's a cheat that allows you to move the goal object, and therefore "solve" levels with zero pieces -- ok, whatever. But I posted a new level a while ago, and the only solutions anyone bothered to post for it were all bogus zero-piece entries. Four of them. Some with snarky comments about testing the level. Seriously? Where's the sense of enjoying a challenge as presented because it's fun? Or keeping quiet if you don't have anything nice to say?

My apologies to all the good players who saw the level, decided it just wasn't their cup of tea, and moved on. I have no problem with that. I would have enjoyed seeing other solutions to the level besides my own, but only if it was because people enjoyed attempting it.
csprof

Re: Something is defective...

Postby marjo on Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:09 am

Could you please link us to the level? Perhaps someone will solve it here!
marjo

Postby ken75 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:30 am

Haha. If there is a single corner in the internet that remains untarnished from people's idiocy, I will be very shocked. People are going to be rude and obnoxious no matter where you go, try not to take it to heart
ken75

Postby csprof on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:34 am

Sure, here's the level: http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?levelId=626167

I'm not claiming it is fantastic, but I did put some work into building it. Thanks for taking a look at least! I'll post my own solution, which is ugly but shows the level can be solved.

Incidentally, I thought you could only do the 0-piece cheat when the goal object overlapped with the build area. I guess I was wrong.
csprof

Postby djbreslin on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:37 am

Yeah, you can do the cheat when the goal piece is just on the outside of the build area. Just make sure in your next levels to not put the goal piece so close.
djbreslin

Postby jeke on Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:55 am

Agreed, Prof. I think it's even worse when a user exploits a black hole glitch - basically, a cheat which makes the goal piece free of any restrictions - then drags it to the goal, and then posts it with a snarky comment. To me, the comment suggests I test for cheats. Uhh. What? It's a flaw in the physics engine, not in the level.

For 'Shunts', it's true the goal piece can be directly grabbed with the mouse, without any trickery (and I've made a few levels where I didn't notice that, and endured remarks on my IQ), so I think that may put the burden on the level - but I think it's still unchill to post a 1-tick 0-piece solve with a snarky comment. Those usually come from noobs or users who've created no meaningful levels of their own, and they are just projecting their own insecurities.

Over the years, Prof, your levels and solves have been top drawer - well-thought combinations of efficiency and artistic design. Ignore the comments - some of these kids are ill-mannered. And we've seen a rash of new ones posting useless levels lately - it's even been too much for Skeezix.
jeke

Postby dragon_man on Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:47 am

Winnar! http://www.fantasticcontraption.com/?designId=12029573 ahhh, fun level!

As for the glitch, I've been there done that more than once. In my opinion people shouldn't do that even if the block is half way in the build space! Some players think that if a level is cheatable they must cheat on it.

Hoping to see some more levels from you in the future :smile:
dragon_man

Postby csprof on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:28 am

I like your solution, dragon_man!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I do feel better. :-)
csprof

Return to Feedback and Problems