[Official Thread] FC iPhone App *Best Game of 2009!*

Report bugs, registration issues, or just suggest some new features in this thread! Guaranteed to have at least 10% more dev attention than other threads!

Re: Feedback for Fantastic Contraption iPhone/iPod Touch App

Postby tes753 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:32 pm

Ok, here they are!
IMG_0033.PNG
IMG_0033.PNG (15.75 KiB) Viewed 6127 times
IMG_0032.PNG
Ack and Forth
IMG_0032.PNG (17.21 KiB) Viewed 6097 times
IMG_0035.PNG
Icon on home screen.
IMG_0035.PNG (14.19 KiB) Viewed 6075 times
tes753

Postby pacifist on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 pm

Dr. Phil wrote:the extra levels are user made. Like totem pole and other levels of the like, some of them are kind of "meh"

Hey! I worked really hard on some of those levels! There are a mix of old and new. The original ones are mostly my personal favorites, with a few oddballs thrown in to represent genres of levels that I don't necessarily love myself but that get played alot.

The new levels are:

Canyon - me

Default - me being a smart ♥♥♥, you will notice that it's just the default level editor configuration. So all I did was add a ball and hit save. And before you say someone beat me to it I first made that level back when it was still called Stupendous Contraption!

Stuck - me

Crown Jewels - weasel

Be a Champ - me

Sunset - me (one of my favorites)

Displacement - weasel (another of my favorites. especially if you don't do it the cheaty brown way)

Gate Keeper - I believe this was made new by James Anderson

More Balls - me. this level is very likely going to be removed soon. it didn't really work out.

Two of the last ones: Under Over and Sisyphea were originally launched with the Flash game but proved too hard for the first level set. You probably recognise them as "secret beta levels".

Ack and forth is obviously jtbowden's work.

I should probably come out with credits for all the levels. Most of the rest are by Hap, Sk89q and James Anderson. With some others that caught my eye. I spruced up some of the user levels just a bit as well. I actually worked quite hard on this level set over several weeks.
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby Afronanny on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:19 pm

bueno trabajo.
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby Foro on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm

pacifist are there links to those levels in pc v? so we could see them? :/
Foro

Location: We didn't start the flame war, Peeps were hatin' on it fore I left my comment

Postby pacifist on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:54 pm

Patience, all will come in time.
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby Foro on Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:28 pm

Foro

Location: We didn't start the flame war, Peeps were hatin' on it fore I left my comment

Postby tes753 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:12 pm

even more photos
IMG_0034.PNG
new search feature
IMG_0034.PNG (27.69 KiB) Viewed 5822 times
IMG_0028.PNG
online level
IMG_0028.PNG (30.16 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
IMG_0025.PNG
level editor
IMG_0025.PNG (22.11 KiB) Viewed 5767 times

PS: How do you download levels on the iPod? I am currently using the save button, but is there another way. Also, could you add how to get the badges to the help button.
tes753

Postby Dr. Phil on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:48 pm

More Balls - me. this level is very likely going to be removed soon. it didn't really work out.
I think this level could be fun if there were spots to put wheels on the sides of the orange balls, that way you could make some sort of convoluted gear mechanism.

And another bit of feedback: it seems that once a level is done being created in the editor, that it cannot be re-edited again. I find this dissapointing because sometimes levels need a tiny tweak to make them perfect, or have an overlooked flaw that needs changed. Unless I overlooked something I think adding in a re-edit feature would be great.
Dr. Phil

Postby Foro on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:57 am

who can post a photo of more balls?
Foro

Postby darkeagle on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:47 am

Here are some more balls.Image
darkeagle

Postby Foro on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:12 am

ROFLMAO
Foro

Postby darkeagle on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:17 am

Perfect! Let me go get my camera! Don't lose that expression! *runs to go find camera*
darkeagle

Postby pacifist on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:26 am

Dr. Phil wrote:And another bit of feedback: it seems that once a level is done being created in the editor, that it cannot be re-edited again. I find this dissapointing because sometimes levels need a tiny tweak to make them perfect, or have an overlooked flaw that needs changed. Unless I overlooked something I think adding in a re-edit feature would be great.

Um. This is fairly embarrasing but: oops :)

It is being corrected. Updates take a couple days to get through apple's goons though.

Colin
pacifist
Site Admin

Postby tmusquiez on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:47 am

This is truly a success!!! I don't have an iPhone/iTouch to play it on but you guys are on your way to bigger and better things with this neat and fun game addition!!
tmusquiez

Postby dad on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm

pacifist wrote:...
Under Over and Sisyphea were originally launched with the Flash game but proved too hard for the first level set. You probably recognise them as "secret beta levels".

Too hard ? Absurd ....

"The struggle itself...is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus
dad

Postby Afronanny on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Dad!
I knew we'd find you eventually...
Afronanny
OUTRAGED!!!1

Location: Eating your pie. Don't bother to stop me, I'm finished now.

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:59 pm

After buying and playing with FC, I feel like I should give some feedback. First of all, excellent job to the programmer who brought this game to the iPhone. It was a difficult task, but you did it well.

I don't play fc that much anymore, but it looks good. However, I do have one main complaint: the level selection.
One of the hallmarks of the original game was the small, beautiful, interesting levels--all of which were conducive to badges that came after the levels were made. However, I feel like the majority of the chosen levels do not follow the excellent "style guide" set out by the first 21 levels.
Especially now that the badge system has been made official by awarding them for each level, having levels that make obtaining some of even the badges downright impossible to get (or at least a job for the ridiculous "long way challenge") seems likes a poor choice.
For example: Ack and Forth (good luck getting a boomerang), Canyon (Clean? doubtful), Default (Have fun getting any badges done, besides clean, which is a given), Projected (solution is just a couple of sticks, boomerang and clean look dubiously achievable), More Balls.
Others just look badly done: "Skyscaper" (The whole level shakes when you try to move it.. unnecessarily large), Sunset (The goal area doesn't have a border??), Chimichangas. Even my own level "Brick Layer" is buggy:
though in my defense, I believe I made that level before the whole if the goal piece touches the border, it can be moved anywhere bug.

Sorry if this criticism is harsh, I just think that some of these levels could have been easily fixed, or even replaced. This isn't an insult to the game--of course I think it is brilliant. I just think a bit more thought/testing could have gone into the level selection/ordering of levels.

(Sorry pacifist!, but I feel that it is important to talk about these things)
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby OfficiallyHaphazard on Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Here is a link to the images of the new levels: http://tinyurl.com/b4g4v2 for reference for those that have not bought the game.
OfficiallyHaphazard

Postby Dr. Phil on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:17 am

pacifist wrote:
Um. This is fairly embarrasing but: oops :)

It is being corrected. Updates take a couple days to get through apple's goons though.

Colin

Hehe, no problem. I was just making a level and called it WIP, went back to finish and i was like...hmmmm?!?!?!? Sometimes we overlook the obvious. Thanks for reading our feedback and keep up the good work.
Attachments
IMG_0004.png
IMG_0004.png (23.89 KiB) Viewed 5377 times
Dr. Phil

Postby pacifist on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:07 pm

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:First of all, excellent job to the programmer who brought this game to the iPhone

That's Bryan Perfetto at inXile. He deserves the props. All of them mad.

OfficiallyHaphazard wrote:I feel like the majority of the chosen levels do not follow the excellent "style guide" set out by the first 21 levels.

I agree that alot of the levels are different from the first set of levels. But I feel like Fantastic Contraption has stretched and pushed the boundries that we originally designed inside. And while in certain circumstances the stretching may have torn at the edges of the badge system I think it's worth it to stretch the minds of the players.

My style guide for official levels only has two rules:

1) simple layout
2) multiple ways to finish it

So I think all the levels fit those catagories SkyScraper is one of my personal favorites. I like that it has a vast scale but isn't just a pult level. It bends your mind in unique ways. Actually It's probably too easy to pult on the iPhone. But I still think it's a great level! Sunset as well, I hardly think the absence of a border on the goal is a deal breaker on how fun that level is.

More Balls... well... I'm still on the fence about whether that level is going to be in v. 1.2.

But yes, of course, we're all going to have different opinions. Which is fine. I hope, like the flash version, people will make and find levels that they and people like them think are uniquely interesting. And we are working on ways to make sharing those levels easier. Already at least one guy has made his own series of levels.

I hope the forum here becomes a tool of level sharing for the iPhone version as well as the flash version. If you save a level and then post the name here then people can search for and play it. If you name your levels like:1236789 it will be just like the flash version! :)

Interesting stuff though, eh? It's kind of interesting defining the iPhone version because it's kind of an alternate reality version of Fantastic Contraption. The same and different in so many ways.

Colin
pacifist
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Problems